Welcome to the McFarland School District's Gifted and Talented Program. Keep tuned to these pages to stay current on all the latest happenings for GT.
McFarland’s Gifted and Talented Philosophy
The McFarland School District strives to meet the needs of all of their students, including those in the gifted population. We recognize outstanding talents in children and youth from all cultural groups, across all economic strata and in all areas of human endeavor. We strive to identify students in the five areas of giftedness: Intellectual, Academic, Creative, Artistic/Dramatic and Leadership and to provide them with continuous and systematic services. McFarland staff and parents work together to sustain the effectiveness of district G&T Services.
- Participate in facilitated discussions that seek to provide support and guidance
- Enjoy an environment where parents of talented children can interact and learn from each other
- Develop parenting skills for nurturing the emotional development of talented children
Enhance understanding of:
- Characteristics of high potential children
- Programs and opportunities for talented children
- Relevant books and professional organizations
- Referrals for more in-depth professional assistance
- Encourage involvement in and support of appropriate educational opportunities
In addition, the schools offer a variety of activities in which highly able students also participate. Among these are the National Honor Society, Forensics, Model UN, Spelling Bee, Geography Bee, Destination Imagination, Drama, Science Olympiad and Mathlete.