McFarland School District News
10-19-09 School Board Minutes
Minutes of the School Board Meeting Held October 19, 2009
Meeting called to order by School Board President Arlyn Halvorson at 6:09 p.m. in the Small Conference Room, McFarland District Office
Present: Arlyn Halvorson, Tom Allen, Don Schutt, Kathy Siegmann, Scott Brown, and Jeff Mahoney.
Absent: Jim Moeser.
Motion by Schutt, second by Siegmann to move into Closed Session under WI Statute 19.85(1)(e), for the purpose of deliberating or negotiating the purchasing of public properties, the investing of public funds, or conducting other specified public business, whenever competitive or bargaining reasons require a closed session (bus transportation contract) and 19.85(1)(c) to consider employment, promotion, compensation, or performance evaluation data of any public employee over which the governmental body has jurisdiction or exercises responsibility (administrative contracts).
Motion passed 4-0
Board members reviewed and discussed the updated bus transportation contract, along with administrative contracts.
Motion by Schutt, second by Siegmann to return to open session at 7:10 p.m.
Budget Work Session – delayed to later in the agenda.
At 7:12 p.m., School Board President Arlyn Halvorson called the regular meeting to order in the School Board Room, McFarland District Office
Present: Arlyn Halvorson, Jim Moeser, Tom Allen, Don Schutt, and Kathy Siegmann.
Administrators Present: Scott Brown, Jeff Mahoney, Penny Simmons, Jim Hickey, Dave Witte, Sue Murphy, and Tom Mooney.
Motion by Schutt, second by Siegmann to approve the following consent agenda items:
- Minutes of the September 28, 2009 School Board Special Meeting and October 5, 2009 School Board Meeting
- Approval of General Fund Vouchers #146229 through #146436
- Professional Staffing Recommendations:
* New Hires: Heather Flemming, 4.5 hrs/week CEELC Computer Teacher
* Change in Contract: Jeanne Hockett, 0.533 to 0.733 FTE CEELC Phy Ed – Specially Designed Phy. Ed.
Sharon Kane, 0.75 to 0.833 FTE MHS FACE Teacher
* Overload: Paul Ackley, 90 min./week overload MPS Physical Education Teacher
Claire Jurs, 90 min./week overload K-2 Music Teacher
- Co-Curricular Staffing Recommendations:
* New Hires: Amanda Sieja, 6.0% MHS Girls Basketball Assistant – name clarification from 9/21/09
- Employee Memorandum of Understanding
Motion carried 5-0.
Student Council Report – Alyse Weber gave a report on current events in the high school.
School Board Reports:
- Education for Employment Report – Cindy Brady presented the 2009 Education for Employment Plan.
- Summer School Report – John Wells shared a review of the 2009 summer school program, along with plans for changes and expansion in future years.
Public Comments – none.
Superintendents Report –
A. McFarland Community Tennis Donation
B. Revised School Board Calendar of Topics
C. Important Dates
D. Recent District Photos and Events
Motion by Schutt, second by Moeser to approve action on 2009-10
Motion carried 5-0
Motion by Schutt, second by Moeser to approve action on Education for Employment Plan.
Motion carried 5-0
School Board work session on budget – Jeff Mahoney and the School Board members reviewed the recommended changes to the budget since the annual meeting, along with the tax levy recommendation for 2009-10.
Motion by Moeser, second by Schutt to approve action on approval of tax levy and changes to the 2009-2010 budget.
Motion carried 5-0
Upcoming Reports – Nov. 2nd – School Improvement Principals’ Update
Nov. 16th – AYP and Achievement Update
Summer Data Meeting Update
Prior Year Fiscal Audit
Notation was made of the following personnel items:
New Hires: Jill Cook, 1.5 hrs/day MPS Playground Supervisor
Kassandra Dushenski, 7.5 hrs/day MPS Special Education TA
Erica Noll, 7 hrs/day IMMS Special Education EA
Employment Ended: Tera Kramer, 4 hrs/day WIS Food Service
Motion by Moeser, second by Schutt to adjourn. Motion carried 5-0 and meeting adjourned at 8:43 p.m.